How the Newton Fund works
The partnership with India is the Newton-Bhabha Fund
The Fund is being delivered by 15 UK delivery partners in collaboration with funders in 18 partnering countries. They develop and run calls, allocate and manage the money they receive as part of the Newton Fund. All opportunities for organisations, institutions and individuals interested in applying are listed on our funding page.
Priorities for India
The Newton-Bhabha Fund have identified a number of priority areas:
- Sustainable cities and urbanisation
- Public health and wellbeing
- Energy-water-food nexus
- Understanding oceans
with two underpinning capabilities:
- High value manufacturing
- Big data.
Key Programmes under Newton-Bhabha
The joint programmes within Newton-Bhabha cover a wide spectrum from capacity building programmes to funding research projects through to the translation of research into innovation. These include:
- Newton International Fellowships: support early stage post-doctoral researchers for two years at a UK research institution.
- PhD Placements: provide opportunity for the UK and Indian PhD scholars to spend a period of their study (2 to 6 months) in Indian and UK higher education institutions.
- Newton Researcher Links Workshops: provide a platform to stimulate initial links between, and support capacity building among, early career researchers in India and the UK.
- Joint research calls and joint virtual centres: provide an opportunity for Indian and UK experts to work together on research projects to address key global challenges. Partnerships exist in the areas including anti-microbial resistance, air pollution and human health, sustainable cities and urbanization, clean energy, and women and child health.
- Research and Innovation Bridges: facilitate collaborations between UK and Indian businesses and research organisations proposing novel commercially-focussed solutions to particular socio-economic challenge.
- Joint Industrial R&D calls: support collaborative industrial R&D projects up to two years in duration, aimed at tackling grand societal challenges with a route to future commercial success.
- Leaders in Innovation Fellowships: offer intensive commercialisation and entrepreneurship training and coaching for innovative researchers.
- Industry Academia Partnerships Programme: is forging partnership between higher education institutions and industry to build technology links and enhances quality and relevance of engineering education.
Indian funding partners
The main Indian funding partners to date are:
Further support and guidance
For further information on the Newton-Bhabha Fund opportunities please get in touch with the Newton Fund team in India firstname.lastname@example.org
About the India Newton Team
The Country team is based in the HIgh Commission in New Dehli. It is responsible for:
- Overall programme coordination for Newton-Bhabha Programme for India.
- Coordinating the in-country elements of the Newton-Bhabha Fund; promoting the fund widely in India; engaging with Indian and UK stakeholders to ensure innovative and results-driven programmes that deliver mutual benefits and value for money.
- Representing UK delivery partners including Royal Society, British Academy, Royal Academy of Engineering, Academy of Medical Sciences, the Met Office and Innovate UK.
Head, Newton Fund India
Senior Advisor, Newton Fund India
Advisor, Newton Fund India
The Newton-Bhabha team can be reached at email@example.com